…and in with some new.

[/center]

Eagle

• CoD4 Admins
  • Standard User
    • View Profile
Re: Tig's Tech Journey 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 12:04:30 am »
the 6 core processor!  Looks nice!  So.....graphics card?

NvR

• Media Team
  • Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 12:30:08 am »
the 6 core processor!  Looks nice!  So.....graphics card?
You dont need one if you have drugs. Well, you dont need the whole PC at all if you have those I guess
My stuffs                  Twitch

Tig

• Director
  • Standard User
  • AK Scum
    • View Profile
    • TigWD
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 12:42:00 am »
So.....graphics card?

A 1070 is planned and will accelerate some of my video post production workflow drastically. It'll also be awesome for Folding@home, and one day, maybe I'll even get back to some gaming haha. For now, budget dictates I make do with the old 560 Ti, which realistically is all I'll have for the first half of 2017.

Eagle

• CoD4 Admins
  • Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 01:08:35 am »
That will be awesome.  I see you are one upping me all around lol.  Beating my 4 core i7 with a 6 core, and beating my 980 with your 1070.  Only place I have you, and you can easily catch me here is that i have 32G ram to your 16.....but looks like its gonna be a sweet system. 

Tig

• Director
  • Standard User
  • AK Scum
    • View Profile
    • TigWD
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 02:13:32 am »
Haha well there's always a faster rig. I'm sure yours is no slouch, cheers!

I am happy with the 6800K. For those of us new to 14mm, 6 cores @4GHZ w/HT holding <52? is awesome. I did ditch the Hyper 212 Evo fan for two ADDA 100CFM models. 150CFM Deltas are on hand but this heatsink doesn't have the surface area and I won't be OCing past the efficiency curve anyway.

The 980 is a fine card, I don't recall if you fold but for God's sake if you don't, start! You'd be topping our team, I think, and that's one place the one-upping counts for something haha.

On RAM?I almost grabbed another 16GB because it just feels wrong running two DIMMs on a quad channel capable system. But money's short and I can do without for now.

Eagle

• CoD4 Admins
  • Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 10:32:29 pm »
Oh I dont know if you lost your HD or not, but if you did, here is a trick that I use to get free Windows 10 on all my new systems. 

I have a OEM Windows 7 Pro disk from an earlier build.  I install the OS and it allows me to use the key code to activate.  Then go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade and you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free.  Windows 10 was offered for free for a limited time but now you can still get the upgrade by doing this.

So far, I have enjoyed using Windows 10 more than I thought I would.  I have been using 7 pro since 2009, and before that XP Pro.  I am slow to upgrade since there are catastrophes such as Windows ME, Windows 8....8.1.....  but so far 10 has been pretty cool.  I like its minimalistic design, I disabled "Cortana" but I do like how I can arrange the start menu to my liking and there is quick access to the "settings" to get to system info faster than going to Control Panel/..... 

Anywho, just my two cents.  After I rebuilt my gaming/work system, I built a media server and use windows 10 there also.  It is a smaller system, core i5, 8GB RAM, but 3TB HD (for all the vids) and just using MOBO graphics.  I use TeamViewer to access it so it doesnt need a monitor, keyboard or mouse.  I did have to obviously add a dvd drive, and now realized I shouldve gotten a blue ray drive (ill be adding it shortly) so I can rip all my dvds and bluerays.  This is a time consuming ordeal.....Im up to around 200 movies so far and have 100's more to go.

twiztedstudiez

• Standard User
    • View Profile
    • Ninth System
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 01:12:13 pm »
but I do like how I can arrange the start menu to my liking and there is quick access to the "settings" to get to system info faster than going to Control Panel/..... 

That has been around since late Win8 early 8.1 if that's what you're talking about. Also in Server 2012 and up (which is where it's most useful anyway). I use search and the start screen for pretty much everything else lol

Eagle

• CoD4 Admins
  • Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 03:14:08 pm »

Im talking about how the start menu can not only go vertical but horizontal and how the settings button (the gear) pulls up as well.

potatover300

• Standard User
  • Welcome Everypony to Regenesis!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 03:29:30 am »

I am happy with the 6800K.

I am happy that you liked my suggestion and ran with it. that CPU should not disappoint.
Quote from: Tig
Screw Regenesis, I'm using this to go buy something shiney!

potatover300

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 03:45:42 am »

but I do like how I can arrange the start menu to my liking and there is quick access to the "settings" to get to system info faster than going to Control Panel/..... 

That has been around since late Win8 early 8.1 if that's what you're talking about. Also in Server 2012 and up (which is where it's most useful anyway). I use search and the start screen for pretty much everything else lol

[windows key]+[I key]: pulls up the new Settings window, but I don't know if there is a keyboard shortcut to the old control panel.
however... [windows key]+[pause|break key], then clicking on control panel is the fastest way i know, unless you slap a shortcut icon to your desktop

Tig

• Director
  • Standard User
  • AK Scum
    • View Profile
    • TigWD
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2016, 11:02:14 pm »
I am happy that you liked my suggestion and ran with it. that CPU should not disappoint.

That may have been someone else, I don't recall us discussing the 6800K. Until the day I bought mine, the plan was a dual Xeon setup that would have been faster (for my uses), less expensive (used parts), and let me use a bunch of DDR3 DIMMs I already have. However this system will eventually be used as a mobile post production workstation, so I needed to maximize portability and power efficiency. In light of needing to get back to work fast, the risk of getting a bad used CPU or mobo also made the new 6800K and Taichi a more responsible decision. With any luck, a more cost-effective Xeon-based rendering farm will be added (and stay at home) in the future.

Regarding OS, I'm sticking with Win7 for now. Learning a new OS and ensuring its compatibility with all of the software I use would have caused delays, and among Win10's most highly touted features, most are either irrelevant to me or already provided through third-party software. 10's GUI scaling is really all I miss.

potatover300

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 01:14:40 am »

That may have been someone else, I don't recall us discussing the 6800K.

Oi, review your texts with me... anyways, my gifts are almost on thier way out. I just need to get the last one.

Tig

• Director
  • Standard User
  • AK Scum
    • View Profile
    • TigWD
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 07:38:16 pm »
Update. Just had a "SMART Event" throw my RAID arrays offline and now it's rebuilding. Ironically this comes a week after I picked up a CyberPower UPS because my place is regularly hit by power outages that knock the system offline and sometimes trigger long rebuild/verification processes like this.

My current setup: this SATA SSD (OS/apps/scratch disk) + four of these HDDs in RAID (primary data store and more scratch space). I've been wanting to switch my primary data store from RAID to Drivepool; guess this is the kick in the pants I needed.

So here's the plan.  I've ordered a 1TB 960 Evo and will use it for OS/apps/scratch. Another 5TB HDD is also en route and will be pooled with the others for my primary data store. I'll use the SATA SSD as a feeder drive on that pool, which hopefully will eliminate the trashing that can happen when, for example, I'm rendering a massive, uncompressed video file to the same set of drives being used for source files (and processes from other apps). In other words, I just spent a stupid amount of money and this better be wicked fast.