• TigWD
Folding with Regenesis
« on: May 13, 2011, 08:10:49 pm »

FOLDING@HOME:

INSTALL IN 5 MINUTES

RUN IT WHEN YOU WANT

SAVE LIVES.

DETAILS

[left-indent]Folding@home is a project run by Stanford University. Stanford developed software you can download and run to contribute to medical research. Video cards designed for gaming are perfect for this, so Regenesis has created a Folding@home team to contribute.

The FAH software will download a WU (work unit), then spend anywhere from an hour to a few days (depending on the WU and your hardware) running simulations on it. You can pause it any time. When it's done, the results are uploaded to Stanford, and a new WU is downloaded. Oh and both you and your team (hopefully Regenesis!) are awarded points.

The term "folding" comes from protein folding, incredibly complex processes that lie at the heart of how diseases like cancer, Alzheimer's, and others develop. FAH is a massive distributed computing project comprising thousands of volunteer computers that together form one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world.

Regenesis was created as a community that would aim higher; providing a better gaming environment than anywhere else, bringing great people together, and uniting for whatever common good we could have an impact on. Folding@home is the epitome of how we as gamers can do good, and it's simple.

To join us, follow the simple instructions at the FAH web site (link below) and you can be in it with us in minutes. Just enter your Regenesis forum username, and team 174132.
[/left-indent]

RANKINGS (UPDATED 06.30.17)

[left-indent]For you competitive types out there, our standing within the ranks of Folding@home teams! You can also view more in-depth stats here.

[left-indent]
#1: 151 BILLION points
#100: 1.5 BILLION points
#200: 583 MILLION points
#300: 326 MILLION points
#400: 185 MILLION points
#500: 135 MILLION points
#600: 96 MILLION points
#700: 77 MILLION points
#783: 64 MILLION points - REGENESIS!
#800: 60 MILLION points
#900: 48 MILLION points
#1000: 40 MILLION points
[/left-indent]
[/left-indent]

FAQ

[left-indent]
I only have a laptop. Should I try Folding@home?
Probably not. Most laptops sacrifice a lot of performance and cooling ability for mobility. Unless you're a power user and know your laptop can handle it, I'd recommend looking for other ways to contribute to our FAH team.

Should I run FAH on [insert system specs here]?
I'll try to answer all questions of this nature, but some info will help. Post (or PM if you prefer privacy) the following to me:
  • download and install Speccy; choose File > Save as text file and send the output
  • download and install Open Hardware Monitor; run that and send me a screenshot showing your system temperatures (especially CPU and GPU)

Has FAH actually accomplished anything?
Yep.

Stanford's FAH FAQ Here
[/left-indent]

LINKS

REGENESIS MILLION PLUS CLUB

[indent]
Thank you to the following members of the Regenesis community and crew who have stepped up and folded 1 million points or more!
[/indent]

[RE]Giant

[RE]Jim

J-Rod

Mac_Zor

[RE]Tig

[RE]TwiZted

echo

• Standard User
    • View Profile
Regenesis F@H!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 12:15:21 am »
cool! this is a great cause (somewhat more terrestrial than seti@home). We got extra credit for running this in my college bio class.

Does this mean that RE servers are running FAH? or is it a suggestion for people to d/l on their own computers? If the latter, here's the folding@home link where you can download it. don't think I saw this in the first post.

MYTH

• Standard User
    • View Profile
Regenesis F@H!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 06:26:17 pm »
Interesting stuff... I wonder, does this have anything to do with anyone's job here? :P

J-Rod

• Standard User
    • View Profile
Regenesis F@H!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 09:35:03 pm »
Quote from: MYTH
Interesting stuff... I wonder, does this have anything to do with anyone's job here? :P

Nope. it's just a way for us to do what we can to help run tests to find cures for things like cancer, ALS, diabetes, Alzheimer's, etc. A way to give back. :)

YANKEE

• Standard User
    • View Profile
hey guys
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 03:51:04 am »
Hey its yankee just new to this looking forward to specking to u guys and have fun and play game with this good clan

:-):-):-)
prince

Arnolox

• Standard User
    • View Profile
Regenesis F@H!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 02:31:44 pm »
I need to get it running at start up cause I keep forgetting :L

twiztedstudiez

• Standard User
    • View Profile
    • Ninth System
Regenesis F@H!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 02:33:41 pm »
Here's the team page:

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=174132

I didn't notice it posted. I'll be setting it up on a few machines that sit idle more often than not.

Thabomba24

• Standard User
    • View Profile
Regenesis F@H!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 01:10:52 pm »
i will definitely take part in this cause my grandma's mind is sliping and my father's cancer. hoping they could find a cure for medical conditions through medical research anything is possible i just wish there was something like this when my oldest sister was diagnosed with leukemia 28 years ago.. i never met her so i will do my part so hopefuly no one has to go through that

[align=center][RE] Member and Admin
Owner of Defcon Security Agency[/align]

Synyster

• Standard User
    • View Profile
Regenesis F@H!
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 09:23:20 pm »
Tig i have to git with you about F@H. for some reason its heat spiking my card and causing shutdown. I find this very odd considering what i do with this thing.

This is something i believe allot in with my dad having leukemia and lousing that battle. I still fight every day in is memory. He fought 10 years and tried a ton of experimental treatments. He always said if it doesn't help me it will someone else. Hopefully someday we wont have to deal with the tragitty of diseases.

twiztedstudiez

• Standard User
    • View Profile
    • Ninth System
Regenesis F@H!
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 09:26:49 pm »
Quote from: Synyster
Tig i have to git with you about F@H. for some reason its heat spiking my card and causing shutdown. I find this very odd considering what i do with this thing.

it's going to cause your card to get hot since it's running at full power to fold proteins. If it's getting that hot, your video card heatsink is probably clogged up or not functioning right or you just have bad circulation inside your case.

Synyster

• Standard User
    • View Profile
Regenesis F@H!
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 09:40:32 pm »
Right, and i have run it meany times before now with no issues but my new configuration isnt happy. I run rFactor ARMA 2 and lost of graphic design software with no issues and most the time at 99%+ GPU usage.

twiztedstudiez

• Standard User
    • View Profile
    • Ninth System
Regenesis F@H!
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 11:38:14 pm »
Quote from: Synyster
Right, and i have run it meany times before now with no issues but my new configuration isnt happy. I run rFactor ARMA 2 and lost of graphic design software with no issues and most the time at 99%+ GPU usage.

What happens if you run Furmark for a while? http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Tig

• Director
  • Standard User
  • AK Scum
    • View Profile
    • TigWD
Regenesis F@H!
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 11:45:14 pm »
Syn, was it in the HJ days that your dad passed? we've seen each other go through major stuff here, good and bad. What your and Bomba's families went through, brings home the powerful impact we could have on people around the world by donating a little computing time.

FAH can utilize parts of your video card more completely than even the most demanding games (not FurMark though). If you can't get better cooling to your system, try underclocking your video card's core clock while folding. I use MSI Afterburner to change clocks on my 560 Ti, not sure if that will also work on what you have.

Synyster

• Standard User
    • View Profile
Regenesis F@H!
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 06:50:45 pm »
Yeah it was right in the middle of the BM/HJ split that he passed. I did some under clocking with evga and it has brought the temps down to around 75c. I think we are safe now.

Thabomba24

• Standard User
    • View Profile
Regenesis F@H!
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 07:26:28 pm »
Ever since I became apart of regenesis I've been apart of folding at home.31 years ago today my big sister was born a year later (due to chemical waste from a government refining facility that leaked into the groundwater) she was diagnosed with Acute myeloid leukemia or AML  for short. And a year and a half later she passed away from it in 1985. 2 years later my older sister was born then 4 years after that I was born ... Not a day goes by that I don't think about my oldest sister beth and what it would have been like to meet her so today was her 31st birthday and I took a lawnchair and sat at her grave and remembered my sister and didn't leave her by herself  on her birthday

[align=center][RE] Member and Admin
Owner of Defcon Security Agency[/align]